Do you start your day with a cup of coffee first thing in the morning? If you’re still wondering why you’re not a morning person maybe it’s time to try something new as your go-to morning ritual. How about some lemon salt water instead?
Believe it or not, drinking lemon water with Himalayan sea salt as a new morning ritual can provide all sorts of benefits for your body and mind. Keep reading to learn five reasons why you should start drinking lemon salt water every morning!
- It’s Energizing – The electrolytes in himalayan salt help to replenish the minerals in your body that are essential for proper nerve and muscle function. This can help you feel more energized throughout the day.
- It Rejuvenates Skin and Boosts your Immune Function – The Vitamin C content in lemon helps boost your immune system and reduce wrinkles, keeping you healthy and vibrant.
- It’s Hydrating – When you wake up in the morning, your body is dehydrated from not having had any water for hours. Drinking lemon water with Himalayan salt first thing in the morning helps rehydrate your body and jump-start your metabolism. Adding the sea salt, which contains trace minerals and nutrients, actually enhances hydration compared to plain water! It’s like a sports drink without all of the added sugar.
- It’s Detoxifying – Lemon is a natural detoxifier and helps cleanse your system. Lemon salt water can be used as a natural laxative and is excellent to detox your system.
- It Aids in Digestion – Drinking warm lemon water helps to stimulate the production of digestive juices, making it easier for your body to digest food throughout the day. Drinking it in liquid form, as opposed to putting extra salt on your food, helps with absorption because the water does a lot of the work to dissolve the salt beforehand!
- BONUS Lemon salt water can help fight allergies – The lemon juice can help to break up mucus and the salt water can help to reduce inflammation which makes this a perfect habit to pick up as the seasons change.
Lemon juice does make this drink acidic, which might cause problems if you are sensitive to low pH (acidic) foods. You should also avoid brushing your teeth immediately after drinking lemon water or water with lemon juice as the acid will weaken your enamel. If this poses a problem for your morning routine, try lemon essential oil. Lemon essential oil is made from the peel of the lemon, which removes the acidity, but keeps the taste! You can also get reusable straws which help with all sorts of acidic drings not just lemon water.
- A tall glass of purified water (warmed)
- 1 slice of lemon or fresh lemon juice to taste (Lemon essential oil can be used as a substitute to reduce acidity)
- Pinch of Non-Iodized Sea Salt
- Warm the water if not done so already.
- Add the salt and stir the water to dissolve.
- Add the lemon or lemon juice.
- Enjoy your energizing lemon salt water!
- Why do I need warm water? – Warm water helps to dissolve the salt quickly. If you use cold water, you will have to do a lot more stirring for the salt to dissolve, which isn’t any fun. Once the salt is dissolved you can drink it or add ice to cool it down.
- Can I just use regular table salt for salt water? – No, the table salt production process removes many of the trace nutrients that make natural sea salt so beneficial. Table salt may also include anti-caking agents to improve the salt’s shelf life.
- Which salt should I use? – Use a finely ground non-iodized salt, pink Himalayan salt is usually available in stores and is perfect for this but any sea salt will do. A finely ground sea salt will make it easier to dissolve the salt in the water as compared to a very coarsely ground sea salt.
- When is the best time of day to drink lemon salt water? – The best time to drink this is first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. If you can’t do that, try to drink it at least 30 minutes before a meal.
- How often should I drink lemon salt water? – Drinking salt water is best done early every morning if possible! One glass a day is plenty to get the benefits of this cleansing drink and doubling up the dose won’t have any effects.
- Is this going to be too much salt for me? – Most likely not, as long as you are getting an adequate amount of potassium a pinch of sea salt in the morning will not be too much salt. If however, you have a condition that makes you sensitive to salts, like high blood pressure or other health conditions, speak with your physician before making this a habit.
- Does Lemons Salt Water Break a Fast? – No, lemon salt water has calories due to the fructose in the lemon juice, but if you are following an intermittent fasting diet the minor amount of calories will not negatively impact the biological processes like autophagy that fasting is designed to produce, so drink up!
Lemon salt water is a healthy and refreshing way to start your day! The benefits of drinking lemon water are many, from aiding in digestion to providing a quick boost of energy. This simple morning ritual can be enjoyed by everyone and only takes a few minutes to prepare.
I’ve enjoyed adding this morning drink to my morning routine and I hope you do too. I love finishing off a glass of rejuvenating lemon salt water and then moving on to my morning coffee with cold foam. Give it a try and let us know how you like it!