Do you miss milkshakes and sweet smoothies now that you’re on the keto diet? If so, you don’t have to deny yourself anymore.
Even though you should avoid high-carb foods, that doesn’t mean you can’t make delicious keto shakes that are satisfying and healthy.
What are keto shakes? These shakes are a healthier version of milkshakes and replacement shakes. They’re not only quick to make yourself, but you can buy them in a variety of delicious flavors.
Store-bought keto shakes are useful because they enable you to get the correct balance of protein, fat, and carbs, but you can make these shakes yourself at home. Read on to find out how.
Why Are Keto Shakes So Popular?
Everyone loves shakes and smoothies. They’re convenient to drink when you’re on the go and give you a burst of vitamins without you having to worry about planning snacks or meals ahead of time.
They also take some effort out of being on the keto diet.
These shakes offer many weight-loss benefits, with some claiming to let you lose up to nine pounds of weight per week.
To achieve this, you need to replace a meal with a keto shake once or twice a day. This is why you have to ensure you fill your keto shakes with healthy, nutritious, and filling ingredients.
Keto Shakes: Tips To Make Them Healthy And Delicious
When making keto shakes, there are some important tips to bear in mind so that you make your shakes as delicious and satisfying as possible.
- Nut butters such as almond butters are a great ingredient to add to keto shakes. They help to make shakes tastier while also boosting your healthy fat intake, so they’re ideal for times when you’re replacing a meal with a keto shake.
- If you have a nut allergy you can easily switch nut butter for sunflower seed butter or even tahini, depending on the flavor of the keto shake you’re making.
- Steamed then frozen cauliflower can be added to a keto shake. Yes, really! This might sound strange to do, but when you cook and then freeze cauliflower it loses its flavor and adds more smoothness to your shakes.
- Add monk fruit to your shakes. Monk fruit is a small gourd that looks like a melon. Just a few drops of liquid monk fruit is a great way to add sweetness to your shakes without the extra sugar.
Best Keto Shake Recipes
Keto Shake 1: Blueberry Lemon Keto Shake
Blueberries are fruits that are low in carbs while giving you a lovely burst of sweetness. The addition of the lemon in this recipe, which is also a low-carb fruit, gives it an extra dose of nutrients while offering a bit of tanginess.
What you’ll need:
- ¼ cup frozen blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoon cream cheese
- 5-10 drops liquid stevia
- Put all the ingredients into a blender, and blend them for about 30 seconds. You want the ice to become crushed.
- Pour the mixture into a glass and add some lemon zest or blueberry pieces on top.
Keto Shake 2: Choc-Peanut Butter Shake
For this keto shake, you’ll need protein powder, which will give you a good dose of healthy protein to boost its nutritional value. This shake also contains unsweetened cocoa powder to reduce your sugar intake.
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- ½ scoop chocolate-flavored protein powder
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 5-10 drops stevia
- 1 square dark chocolate (sugar-free or choose a 90-percent dark chocolate variety)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender, except for the square of chocolate.
- Blend the mixture on high for 30 seconds.
- Pour the mixture into a glass.
- Grate the dark chocolate piece and use it as a garnish.
Keto Shake 3: Carrot Cake Keto Shake
If you’re craving carrot cake but you don’t want all the carbs and sugar, you should make a carrot cake keto shake that will hit the sweet spot!
This shake is filled with healthy ingredients such as vanilla protein powder, Greek yogurt, and cashew milk.
- ½ cup baby carrots
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 cup steamed and then frozen cauliflower
- 1 cup cashew milk
- Sprinkle of nutmeg
- Few ice cubes
- Mix the carrots, yogurt, protein powder, cauliflower, cashew milk, and ice cubes in a blender. Blend them for about 30 seconds until the ice cubes have been crushed.
- Pour the mixture into a glass, then sprinkle nutmeg on top.
Keto Shakes 4: Green Keto Shake
This is like a keto shake salad! It contains a variety of healthy ingredients, such as avocado, spinach, and coconut milk.
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ cup cold water
- ½ avocado (peeled and pitted)
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 teaspoons hemp seeds (shelled)
- 6 drops liquid stevia
- Add water, coconut milk, spinach, avocado, and one teaspoon of hemp seeds to your blender.
- Blend them until all the ingredients are smooth.
- Add the stevia and taste the mixture to check that it’s sweet enough.
- Pour into a glass and garnish with the rest of your hemp seeds and the blueberries.
Keto Shakes 5: Zucchini, strawberry, and chia shake
This is a great shake to enjoy when you want to replace a meal because it has healthy produce in it. Zucchini contains Vitamin C and fiber, as well as just 9 grams of net carbs.
Strawberries are a low-carb fruit to enjoy on the keto diet and chia seeds are a great source of omega-3 acids (via Healthline).
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup chopped zucchini (can be raw or frozen)
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- Simply blend all the ingredients in your blender, then put them in a glass and enjoy!
If you’re not a fan of zucchini, you can use leafy green vegetables such as spinach. Just one cup of cooked spinach contains 5 grams of fiber and 7 grams of carbs.
Keto Shake 6: Peppermint Milkshake
If you’re looking for a refreshing and sweet keto shake, this recipe is just the ticket. Best of all, you can whip it up quickly and easily.
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream (try to find a low-carb, low-sugar variety)
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Put the ingredients into your blender and blend them for one minute.
- Add whipped cream as a topping. If you want something else you can grate nuts and use them as a garnish.
Note: You might find it difficult to find keto-friendly vanilla ice cream, but you can make it yourself with vanilla extract, coconut milk, and sugar-free condensed milk.
What Can You Use Instead Of Stevia In Keto Shakes?
If you don’t want to use stevia in a keto shake, you have lots of other sweetener alternatives at your disposal.
These include monk fruit, which is natural and has a mild yet sweet taste. However, it can be expensive to purchase. Another type of keto-friendly sweetener is erythritol, which is affordable and has a very low glycemic index scale.
However, it can cause digestive problems such as diarrhea or bloating if eaten in large quantities.
If you want sugar that’s pretty much the same thing as table sugar when baking keto treats, you should opt for maltitol. It’s low on carbs but it can cause digestive problems such as gas so don’t eat it in large quantities.
Do keto shakes help you lose weight?
When you’re on the keto diet, you can’t rely on keto shakes to enable weight loss if you’re not ensuring that the rest of your diet is restricting your intake of carbs.
You need to restrict your calories too, which is why the keto diet is usually promoted for fast weight loss.
Can you have whipped cream on the keto diet?
Since heavy and whipping cream contains 1.75 grams of carbs per quarter cup, they are both allowed on the keto diet.
If you’re on the keto diet, you might want to indulge in a sweet snack in the form of a delicious shake. Or, you might want to use keto shakes as a meal replacement.
Whatever the case, we’ve provided you with some delicious keto shakes you can whip up at home – all you need is your trusty blender and healthy, delicious ingredients.